Thursday, June 2, 2011

100 Days From Washington

Today, June 2nd, is the 100th day I have been away from my family in Washington, the 97th day outside the U.S., and my 95th day living in San Juan! In honor of this amazing accomplishment I have made a list of the most interesting little things that are either different from back home or something that is just silly to share:

1. I LOVE tomateos. (I used to hate them)
2. I have mayonaise on everything.
3. I always wear shoes in the house (because my parents don´t like it when I don´t)
4. We don´t have a bath tub.
5. People drive on both sides of the road whether it is a one way street or not.
6. There isn´t recycling.
7. People don´t get in trouble for throwing trash on the side walks (A girl even asked me why I put my wrapper in my backpack instead of just tossing it).
8. In little shops instead of being able to just take things off the shelves, you have to take a number and wait for someone to help you.
9. I wear a uniform to school.
10. We only have one computer.
11. We watch TV during every meal.
12. My mama wakes me up every morning.
13. We use commas for periods and periods for commas in Math. For example, one thousand is 1.000 and one half is 0,5!
14. There is never a moment when you can not see alteast five dogs on the street.
15. My classmate was shocked to learn that we have Oreos in the U.S.
16. My classmate thought that since so many people have very light hair in the U.S. that we don´t shave our legs.
17. I don´t go to bed until 11:30 on school nights.
18. High waisted shorts are considered popular for girls when going to clubs at night.
19. People here have no idea what Enchiladas and Salsa are!
20. My most common name here is Jeni although pronouced like Yenny, Shenny, Jenny, or Henny depending on the person.
21. I have to unlock the door, lock the door, unlock the gate, and then lock the gate when going to school every morning.
22. I have my own set of keys.
23. My new favorite TV show is "Friends".
24. Everyone calls Facebook just "Face".
25. I can´t drive.
26. There is always soda and cookies in my house.
27. I am the youngest sister.
28. P.E. is my easiest class.
29. I can walk to my friends house!
30. I am supposed to answer the phone even if my parents aren´t home.
31. Random strangers talk to me just because they know I am not from Argentina.
32. You can´t change the temperature on our oven.
33. My parents often stay up later than I do!
34. Milk is sold in bags.
35. I forgot how to say "15th" and "Report Card" (it took me several hours to remember) and many times I am able to explain things better in Spanish than in English.

And finally, I now have TWO wonderful families that I always know will love me, TWO sets of best friends and classmates that can make me laugh, and TWO countries that both have a place in my heart. I love Argentina and I can´t believe how fast time is passing by.... :)

4 comments:

  1. Dude this makes me SUPER jealous! I have to wait 8 more months until I hopefully go to Argentina! Just curious... How much spanish did you take before you came to Argentina? I am in Spanish four currently and nervous I'll go and not be able to say one word! Me gusta tu blog muchisimo! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! :-)
    I'm going to Jujuy with AFS in August. I can't wait and this deffinetly didn't make it better!
    Very interesting post by the way, I both made me laugh and excited about my upcomming trip.. Keep it up, I love reading your posts!

    Simon Græsbøll Christensen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you guys like my blog. This will be an experience you will never forget! Are you guys going for a year or semester? Don´t worry about your Spanish. I only took two years before I left. But no matter how much you have, the first month is always hard. Just make sure to ask questions when you don´t understand. And whatever you do, don´t just use the knod and smile technique like a lot of kids. It only makes it harder in the long run. Can´t wait to read your blogs as well! And feel free you ask more questions if you have them! I know that I had a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenica, obviously Argentina is treating you well if Friends is now your favorite TV show!! It's the BEST. I hope they watch it in Costa Rica. (:

    Everything sounds amazing, I'm glad you're having such a good time!

    ReplyDelete