Sunday, July 31, 2011

Snow Flakes

I think you will all be as surprised as I was by this news, but guess what? It snowed in San Juan! Saturday night my sister, Paula, came running into the kitchen yelling that it was snowing. After dashing out the front door, I saw that it was true! There were snowflakes falling fast and heavy from the sky. Since I was just in a sweatshirt I instantly froze, but it was worth it just to be able to see all the tiny flakes stuck to my whole body. It snowed a lot that night but it didn´t stick to the ground. It was just on the border of freezing so it wasn´t cold enough to let it pile up. But even so, we were all super giddy! Getting snow in San Juan is practically a miracle. Given that it only rains once a month here and that it doesn´t get below freezing all the time, you have got a very small chance that the one day it rains will be the one day it gets into the negative degrees. Apparently the last time we got snow in the city was three years ago. Three years!! I don´t know how they don´t burst into tears hearing that. I would miss snow too much! I talked to my friends about it that night and they said that most of them have never even been sledding. That was probably the hardest to hear- I mean, sledding is one of the funnest things ever and these guys have never tried it! I guess I will just have to hope that Argentina suddenly goes into an ice age and San Juan is covered in feet of snow. Then maybe my friends will understand when I talk about how even though I often crash snowboarding and my bottom always kills me after going off jumps on sleds, it is all very much worth it. :) But until that day, we will all just have to get excited watching the snowflakes fall from the sky and melt on the ground...!

No comments:

Post a Comment