Monday, January 16, 2012

Visiting Franco - My Argentinian Brother

Ever since I had arrived in Argentina, I have been talking to Franco about when I could go visit him. For those of  you who don´t remember, Franco came to my house in August (2010) and stayed until January (just a month before I left myself for Argentina). I became really close to him over those six months and while I am here, I am obviously going to take the chance to visit my brother! So in December, the plans were finally made and after getting back from Chile, I set of to Concordia.

Concordia is on the far east side of Argentina, right up against Uruguay, and a very long 18 hours bus ride. I was super excited to get off the bus and see Franco and all his family that it was a little hard to sleep! When I got off the bus, I didn´t see anybody waiting for me. I kind of freaked for a second because I wasn´t sure if I was in the right spot but then I saw Franco walking into the bus terminal. He didn´t see me at first and I just kind of stood there a second not really believing that it could be him before I called out his name and ran over to hug him. He was almost exactly the same! Of course he looked a little older and didn´t have the beard he had when he left my house, but other than that, he was still my brother! We instantly started talking in Spanish. I don´t know why but we just kind of agreed that we would talk in Spanish and not in English. It was the weirdest thing getting into his car and having him drive me to his house. I just couldn´t stop saying "I just don´t believe I am here and YOU  are here!".

I stayed there for a week with his family. He has two younger sisters, Euge and Morena, who I became really good friends with real fast. What was so incredible about it was that I felt like I was at home with them. I guess since Franco had lived with us for such a long time, they just welcomed me into the family like I had always been there. The days there were pretty simple. Franco toured me around the city - I got to see his Dad´s shops, the river between Argentina and Uruguay, spent lots of time with him and his friends, and ate icecream. :) It was really weird to see all the places that he had told me about back in the U.S.

My Family! I guess I have three now!
Franco´s Aunt, Uncle, and Grandma
Franco, Euge, Morena, Me, and Facundo (Franco´s friend)

On Sunday when we had an asado, we arranged a skype session with my family back in the U.S. It was the first time they had spoken to Franco since he left back in January and we had a blast. His English has gotten a little worse but was still very good. Him and I went back and forth translating from English to Spanish so our parents were able to talk and say thank-yous and such. It was a little confusing at times especially for me because I was hearing English and Spanish and couldn´t keep track of which one I was supposed to be speaking!

That night I also got to go to Franco´s graduation party! It was held outside with tables circled around a dance floor and twinkeling lights. Graduation parties are a really important event in Argentina and the kids put out a lot of money to make them special. They have tons of professional photographers taking pictures every second, a DJ, an announcer, and have a bar that serves alcohol and pizza for those that need a snack. We went with his whole family but most of us left at about three in the morning. The seniors all stayed until seven - drinking, dancing, and throwing cake at eachother.

Euge, Marcelo, Franco, Silvana, Me, and Morena
Morena (Franco´s youngest sister)
Euge (who is fifteen) took me to a boliche Monday night! I was totally wipped after staying up late at Franco´s party but I wanted to see how the boliches in Concordia were. In San Juan, my parents don´t want me to go out to boliches that check your ID and aren´t known for having minors. So although most of my friends go to the giant, awesome boliches likes Willy Cuba and Arena, I had only ever been to the smaller ones were everyone underage gets let in. But in Concordia Euge took me to the best boliche in town! It was two stories with a giant grass area outside, a deck, and lots of big screen TV´s showing music videos. The best part was when I was sitting outside on the deck watching the sun come up. We were right next to the river so the sun slowly climbed up over the horizon and told us it was time to head home. It was one of the weirdest experiences to be at a boliche at six in the morning and to have the sun come up and have it feel like the middle of the day. It was even weirder to go home, shut the curtains, and go to sleep for the next seven hours!

It was horrible having to say goodbye to him again but I know I will see him some day! It was fantastic getting to know his family and maybe both our families will be able to meet someday....all I know is that if you have ever thought about having an exchange student, don´t hesitate! These kind of relationships can last a life time and give you excuses to travel the world! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love your blog and your exchange experience stories. I'd like to inform you about an intersting project... Could I have your contact?

    ReplyDelete