Sunday, September 4, 2011

Birthday vs. Cumpleaños

The longer I am here in Argentina, the longer I am fascinated when I learn knew things about this culture and their traditions. Being as it was my 17th birthday just a few weeks ago, I am going to do a little comprason between my U.S. Birthdays and my Argentina Cumpleaños. But as AFS always likes to remind us students - it´s not good or bad, it´s just different. So keep that in mind! :)

I had my birthday party on the Sunday after my birthday with seven of my girlfriends here and we camped out in my living room:

* Note: First time or info is from the U.S. and the second it from Argentina.

Start time: 3:00 P.M. U.S. vs. 8:30 P.M. Argentina.
First person to show up: 3:05 P.M. vs. 9:15 P.M. I was driving my sisters crazy passing up and down the halls until the first person showed up. I keep forgetting that in Argentina being on time is practically against the law. :)
When everyone is finally there: 4:15 P.M. vs. 11:30 P.M. Can you imagine having someone show up to the pary THREE HOURS after if officially started?
Dinner time: 6:00 p.m. vs 12:30 a.m. (that would be a half hour past midnight)
Cake time: 6:30 p.m. vs 2:00 a.m.
Official party ending time (when all the guests leave except my best friends): 7:30 ish p.m. vs. 4:00 a.m. (but I didn´t have this part because I only had it with my seven best friends but normally at other birthdays the non-bestfriends leave about that time.)
Presents: Polite vs Unnesessary. I generally consider presents something you should bring to a party in order to be polite (even if you hardly know the person) and are opened infront of everybody. Where as in Argentina presents are only something you get for a VERY best friend and are opened the second the birthday girl gets it. Otherwise, presents are really unnesessary.
Games and movies: Games vs. No games and Comedy vs. Horror. Usually I have a ton of games to play through out the night and have atleast two romantic-comedy movies to watch. Here we usually talk and take pictures (although I had to have SOME games at my party so I picked my favorite ones and we had a blast playing  them) It is also a tradition to watch a horror movie when you get together with friends. As many times as I have had to explain it, my friends still can´t understand how deep my dislike of horror movies is and often force me to watch them; but thankfully, given that it was my birthday, I opted to not watch a movie to save my self years of nightmares.
Candles: One for each year vs. the Number. I have always had to blow out one candle for each year of my life on my birthday cake until this year. After you get to be about thirteen, they switch out the individual candles for tow candles that say the number. So this year I had a one and a seven on my birthday cake. I have to say it seems a lot more practical given that we didn´t have to scrape off all the wax that melts onto the frosting. :)
Family: Parents vs No Parents. I was surprised to realize that at my party my parents served us dinner but ate in a different room. They also sang me happy birthday but then chose to eat their cake in the kitchen in front of the TV. Since we had a family dinner on my birthday, it is normal that the parents leave the party almost completelly alone except to bring us more food.

Time for bed: 4:00 a.m. vs 7:30 a.m. I can still remember how excited my friends and I were when we actually would make it till four or five in the morning without going to bed! It was something we only did maybe three times a year and was written in the record books. Here, I have already stayed up bast five a.m. atleast 15 times and have hit 7:30 twice now. I have new records to beat!

Also, often people don´t even have a party. They either go out to a club with their classmates or just go out to lunch somewhere with some bestfriends. I am gathering that as soon as you get into your teen years, the importance of having a big party drops drastically. Even so, that wasn´t going to stop me from showing Argentinians how I like to do it! :) During my party, I incorporated traditions from both of my countries. Since I had had a classic, Argentina, dulce de leche cake on my birthday, I baked a Chocolate Expresso cake that Onalee has made a few times in the past. We had churriso which is super famous here for dinner but also had icecream with the cake which they almost never eat. We played lots of games but also stayed up till the sun began to rise. All in all, it was a fantastic way to celebrate my birthday and also gave me a lot of insight into that aspect of Argentina´s culture. It was perfect that I had traditions from both the U.S. and Argentina because honestly speaking, I feel like they both have a place in my heart. How could I ignore one and only celebrate the other?

On a side note: Happy First Days of School to all you northerners! Enjoy the homework and early mornings and I will be here counting down the two and half months until my summer break. :) I hope everyone is well and keeping the rain away from Washington. I will get a tan for you all in the coming months! :)

Chau for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment