Saturday, September 24, 2011

Discovering Argentina in 200 Days

Saturday the 10th I celebrated my 200th day from home! It also was my mom´s 50th birthday which made it even extra special! In all the time I have spent here, every day I keep discovering new things. It is like an Easter Treasure hunt where just when you thought you found all the eggs weeks later, another rotten one turns up in the closet. Only obviously here they aren´t eggs and they sure aren´t rotten! So let me take you through some of the things that are SUPER obvious about San Juan but just might take you a couple months to finally figure them out. :)

This one can be kind of dangerous: the holes in the streets. Generally when I think of a side walk, I think of a flat piece of pavement along side the road tha tis designed for people to walk on. Well, here you could pretty much give it the same deffinition but you would have to chop out the word "flat". The sidewalks here are like a death trap! You would not believe how many times I have tripped and almost crushed my face when my clumbsy feet fell prey to the pavement. Right off the bat they have you watching your step because almost everywhere between the sidewalk and the road they have a one foot gap that you have to step over. Thankfully for those older or handcapped people that would like to use the side walk without having to hire a crane to lift them onto it, at the end of every block they have a little cement bridge connecting the two. After you finally make it onto the sidewalk, where there normally is a small harmless crack that will break your mother´s back in nursery rhymes is an uneven little wall or step that my shoes like to catch on a lot. You also have the holes.....yep, just random holes in the middle of the sidewalk! Where exactly they go I have no idea but some of them go down for a long ways! So a piece of advice, watch where you are walking in San Juan!

The amount of animals here as well is something that is awefully strange. One every street there are tons of dogs. It´s like if you imagined that every third person walking the streets of Bellingham was a dog. Normally, with the streets overrun with little puppies, I would have assumed that nobody would have them as pets. Wrong again! Actually there are tons of people that have dogs! The second most popular animal to have as a pet is a bird. Which is especially weird because unlike dogs, there are almost zero birds outside. I might get lucky and see one a day! They also seem to come in one variety marked brown and very little. There must be a lot of worms here because there sure aren´t enough birds to eat them all! The third weirdest thing is that people don´t have cats as pets. Having a cat in the house is about as weird as having birds in the U.S. Sure, some people have them but you don´t usually have to worry that you will let the bird out when you walk into your neighbors house. :) So in general, I find that the weird mix-up of animals quite confusing and without slugs in our garden, I am just lost! :)

Trash manegment has also been some what of a mystery to me for a while. But after paying special attention, I think I have finally figured it out. If you recall, I mentioned how we hang out garbage outside on trees...well it is because the dogs will eat it. We don´t have trash bins (although the dogs could get into those too) so we hang the plastic bags filled with garbage on the trees outside before the garbage truck comes. What doesn´t seem to make any sense to me is exactly WHEN the bags get picked up. As far as I can tell, it just seems like some random day at some random time a giant dump truck drives by and loads up all the trash. As I think I have already mentioned, recycling doesn´t exist in San Juan. That still is something I have not gotten used to and I flinch every time I toss a bottle into the trash or scraps of paper. It makes me proud of how environmentally conscious Bellingham is! :) I also figured out the mystery of what happens with all the trash dumped in the streets or in the ditches. Generally the rule goes as follows: you are required to clean the side walk infront and around your house and all the trash that might have been thrown there. So my family washes the sidewalk, trims the tree outside and piles all the trash and leaves into bags for the garbage truck. The city streets are a whole other thing....I am not exactly who is supposed to clean up there. Hmmm...

Anyways, those were just the three things that came to mind when I was thinking about San Juan. It is interesting all the things I learn here the more time I get to spend exploring and watching. I hope you get a little taste of the culture I am living in down here and maybe one day when I come back to visit, you guys can come too!
P.S. The day after I wrote that long paragraph about being careful where I walk, I fell into a hole for the first time! I was crossing the street to school, thinking about something else, and when I went to step over the crack between the sidewalk and the road, my foot fell in and I went right with it! The crack was filled with garbage and water and the whole left side of my pants were soaked along with my shoes - and I had to be in school in less than three minutes! Thankfully I just crossed back across the street to my house, changed as fast as I could (waking up Sofi in my rush!), and arrived at school only a little late. So like I said, not only can those holes be dangerous, they can also make you late for school! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment