Friday, September 30, 2011

Día Del Estudiante

Wednesday, the 21st of September, is "Student Day" in Argentina and obviously going with Argentina traditions, you have got to party! Tuesday night I went over to my friend Juli´s house for a sleepover. We went to a birthday party with her mom and returned about one-ish. We spent the next two hours just chatting about boys and cell phones and eating cookies. The cookies turned out to be a disaster! I had made them earlier that day using a typical Nestlee recipe but accidently put flour with baking powder in it! So the cookies rose up like a cake, then flattened, and ended up having all the chocolate and butter on the bottom and a layer of cake on the top. To put it kindly, they were interesting...
Gime, (don´t know) (don´t know), Ivan, Dani, Sol, Juli V., Juli B., Mari, Me, Elias, Blake
The next morning we got up "early" at eight thirty and loaded up the car with our stuff. All my classmates and I were going to a cabin in Villa Tacu to spend the day together. My other friend Juli owns a house there and offered to let us hang out in it. Villa Tacu and "camping" as they call it are the hot spots to hang out on Student Day so the streets were packed with teenagers. Many people (my guys classmates included) spent Tuesday night in Villa Tacu drinking and partying but all us girls were pretty much forbidden to go. Wednesday is generally the calm day and so it is a lot safer to be out and about than when every one is drunk. Especially because all the drunk people from the night before are so wasted that they just sleep all day!
(don´t know), Thomás, Facundo, Elias, and Lucas.

Since "technically" alcohol isn´t allowed in Villa Tacu, the police searched our car and backpacks as we entered in the area. But you should never under estimate a Sanjuanino´s drive to drink alcohol because my guys classmates drove up a week earlier to bring in the booze. The day was pretty hot - I am guessing in the low 80´s - so most of us were in shorts and tank tops. My first month here when it was summer it never really accured to me how WHITE I am but sitting there in a lawn chair in my shorts, it was pretty obvious that I wasn´t from here! Given that it is impossible for me to tan, I don´t have much hope of being able to blend in during summer. :)

Mari, Sorrentino, and Elias
We hung out the whole day, , had a water fight, and generally just enjoyed being classmates together! We also went on a long walk where I unfortunetelly forgot to put on sunscreeen and ended up getting a little red. But we were in the shade the rest of the day so no harm no foul. Sorrentino cooked hamgurgers on the grill for lunch. I am not sure exactly why but it also seems to be him that cooks the food....given that it was super hot and he had to be next to the fire, we were happy to hand over the job to him. The whole day was fantastic and it was especially nice to have  a day off school. :) I wish that the U.S. would have more random holidays when we got to go party!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! I hear its Homecoming in Deming tonite. :)

    ReplyDelete