Thursday, May 26, 2011

"25 De Mayo" - Late Party, Hot Coco, and No School!

This last Wednesday we celebrated "25 De Mayo" which is a holiday that celebrates The May Revolution which is inderectly referred to the point when Argentina began its war for freedom. Because of this, we didn´t have school on Wednesday. Now normally, my holidays start at about nine in the morning when I first wake up, but I really want to talk about where I was when the clock struck twelve and it technically came "25 De Mayo". My friend Juli B. turned 16 on Tuesday and she was planning on having all the girls over in my class for tea and cookies in the afternoon. But after the boys hassled her about not having a party that they could go to, she decided that her party would begin at 10:30 that night and include all of our class and more. I have had a blast at the birthday parties in the past that I had gone to and so I was super excited for this one. Juli´s house is only three blocks from mine but since I am not allowed to walk alone during the night, a group of my friends showed up at my house around 10 and we walked over together. Generally, the party was like the other parties I have been to. Loud music, great food, and all of my friends just hanging out outside until the wee hours of the morning. But I swear, I could go to hundreds of this same kind of party and I would never get bored. There is just something so awesome about chatting away in Spanish with your best friends while freezing outside under the stars. I finally got home at about four in the morning and I am proud to say, I wasn´t even tired! I have become accustomed to the strange hours here and have actually begun to enjoy them. Yes, I know that you are probably cracking up reading this because every one knows that I am always the one to want to go to bed first, turn out the light, and tell everyone to shut their eyes. But not anymore! Be prepared folks, cause I am coming back ready to party! :)

So eight hours later at about noon I awoke to the sweet smell of homemade hot coco. Yumm....! It is a tradition here that we drink hot coco on "25 De Mayo". If you are curious why, don´t ask - because I don´t know! :) My sister baked a chocolate cake that we have been eating the last few days and my mama had her friend over for tea. All in all it was a fantastic day. No school, late night party, and yummy treats to fill my tummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment