Saturday, May 14, 2011

All the Advertising

Recently I acompanied my sister and parents to vote on a...hmmm... well I can´t remember the word for it but I think you will understand what it is. Techinically the age for voting here is 18 but this vote said that only people who have voted for the past four years can vote so my sister Sofia was left out. One thing I had noticed around San Juan was all the posters for who should be governor. Now this vote wasn´t about the governor directly but the important part is the difference between all the posters. There isn´t any. I hate to say this, but I think Argentinians are lacking creativity in the propaganda and advertising department. :) Not that I normally care about that stuff because usually I think of it as spending a lot of money that could be going somewhere else, but these guys have got nothing going for them. Take a look at these two handouts about the proposed change that my family was voting on. Notice the difference?


Yep, you got it. It is the giant "si" and "no" in the middle. Other than that, they are the same down to the last period. Argentinians are filled with passion about soccer, pride for their country, and protection over their families, but not an ounce of it seems to be included in their advertising campaigns. But in one way, I guess that gives people more oportunity to vote the way their gut tells them and not by many of the misleading things the comercials tell you. So in the end, maybe they thought that and purposefully left them really quite boring. I guess I might never know...