Sunday, April 10, 2011

Parading Down the Streets with AFS


The Difunta Correa weekend has come to an end and I am ready to explain my days of activites. As I mentioned before, there was a speech Thursday night where many of the government figures I belive talked about the Difunta Correa and how special it was. They also mentioned us as being representatives of other countries in their celebration and everyone clapped for us. When the governor arrived, he came over to us and asked all of us where we had come from and welcomed us to Argentina. I don´t think I could ever have met the governor of Washington so it was cool to have met him here. On Friday, there was a parade where AFS students lined up with out flags from all the different countries and watched as all the "gauchos" or cowboys went by. They were all representing different families if I could understand correctly and we wished them well on their journey. On Saturday morning, we all met in the center to take a van to the Difunta Correa. The gauchos left at 7 that morning and would ride all the way there. They finally arrived at 1:30 ish. We explored the Difunta Correa and talked in Spanish a lot until they got there. Then, to my surprise, We found an open spot in the parade and started marching down the road with our flags and AFS banner. The announcer annouced us and everyone was clapping. It was pretty fun to be in a parade. We had "asado" for lunch. It is kind of like barbacue but it was better and is a classic dish in Argentina. Here is the link for an article about it in our local paper. Good luch understanding it! http://www.diariodecuyo.com.ar/home/new_noticia.php?noticia_id=454919

We didn´t end up leaving until about 5 in the afternoon because people kept on disapearing right when we were going to leave and we had to wait for them to come back. Once we finally got back into town, Maria (student for Austria) and I went to buy a couple things and then I got to see her house. She lives right down town and has a balcony that looks over the city. It is really quite beautiful. My mama then picked me up and we went to see a singing, piano performace. I wasn´t clear on who was singing or who it was for, but it was beautiful. Piano music is also so much better when you are exhausted and can shut your eyes while listening (that wasn´t a sarcastic remark by the way). Today, I am planning on getting tons of things done starting with this blog post. Hopefully my list of completed things with include:



  • Wash my shoes (they smell disgusting),

  • My English Homework,

  • Eating Breakfast,

  • Uploading Pictures,

  • Study for atleast two of the five tests I have this week,

  • Calculate how much money I have spent since being here,

  • and Shower (I smell like asado).
Today we are also having asado for Alfredo´s birthday. I don´t know when that will happen but it will be bound to take up many hours so I have to get cracking. Hope all of you have enjoyed your Spring Break back in the States. Know that I am jealous!

1 comment: