Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mechanical Bulls and Shaving Cream

Wow. I am exhausted! There is nothing like dancing until three in the morning to tire you out. Last night was Ivan´s birthday party. He is in my class and he was turning 16. Every one from the fifth year at school was invited and also some other friends of his. The party started at 7 but I didn´t end up getting there until 8:45. I got a ride with Juli and Mari and they were running a little late. :) The party was outside in a yard-patio area. It was a really nice night and I wasn´t cold in my t-shirt and jeans.
Apperently here it is not unusual to have a mechanical bull at birthday parties. At first, I was scared to death to get on it. There is a blow up air thing all around it so when you get thrown off you would get hurt, but I was more scared of the being thrown off part than getting hurt. Well eventually I was practically dragged on by Krystal and we went together. It was really embarassing because everyone started chanting me name and I was holding on to Krystal like my life depended on it. It actually wasn´t so bad and I ended up going another time with Sol. It was definetelly teriffying at first but I would do it again. At about 10 the dancing started.
There was a DJ that set up speakers in the yard and had these awesome colored strobe lights going. At first, only Maria and Guada started dancing but I figured what the heck and got up and started dancing too. It was really fun to just dance with those girls and loosen up. After a while other people came over to dance too. The music here is really different and it wasn´t until about 1 a.m. that I actually got the hang of how to dance to it. It is hard to explain how the dancing it different for girls. I guess the closest I can come is that back in the states, dancing was much more of moving you chest and arms. Here it is much more about a low center of gravity and your hips. Okay, after reading over that it sounds really wierd and can even begin to explain it adequetly but I will leave it in there so you can have atleast some idea. The difference in the boys is dramatic. First, they actually dance here! And I´m not talking the kind of dancing where they rock back and forth a little. I mean they actually dance! It makes it really fun because you aren´t feeling weird that they guys don´t seem to be having fun. For guys, it is all about the hips. It is really funny to watch because it reminds me of the moves some girls would make back in the U.S. when they wre trying to be sexy. :) Well, the guys do that kind of thing all the time and it isn´t considered rude or over the top. After three hours of dancing, my shoes has begun to rub a really raw spot on my ankle. Thankfully, we were dancing in the grass so it wasn´t a problem to slip them off. It wasn´t until later that I realized that they weren´t where I put them. Thankfully, I found them fairly easily.


Earlier in the day Ivan had tried to explain to me something called "Espuma" (spelling?) but I couldn´t figure it out. Well, I caught on pretty quick when I got a face full of it at the party. Everyone grabbed a spray can of this white stuff that I can best describe as shaving cream and started spraying it all over everyone. We were all running around, putting it in peoples hair, and screaming when we got sprayed. I was completelly soaked in the stuff by the time we ran out. It dissolved on us into liquid and it was like I had dunked my head in water. Eventually, it dried and this morning I took a long shower to get it all off. It was such a fun thing to do. I hope that they have it in the U.S. cause from now on, I want to have that at my parties.
I got a ride home from Juli at about three a.m. This party is my favorite out of the three parties I have been too (the 15th birthday, Kika, and this one). It was great because I got to have a blast while also connecting more with my classmates. I didn´t get up until 1:30 today and should probably get some of my homework done because I go to my grandparents house tonight. It is my grandpa´s 77th birthday!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so cool:) We miss you
    Gretal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gretal! Yeah, it was really fun. It was my favorite party that I have been to. I miss you guys as well. You are going to be so big when I get back! Not to mention your brothers as well!

    ReplyDelete