Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hanging With My Groupies :)



Hola!


Yesterday, I went to my first day of school. Surprisingly, although you would think wearing two shirts, high socks, and a wool skirt would kill me, I am alive! Many people had told me that when I went to Argentina, everyone would treat you like you are a rockstar. Well, until yesterday, I didn´t really believe them. Everyone in my class wanted to talk with me. Many of them knew English well enough to ask questions so they would ask me in English and then I would answer in Spanish. I must have answered the same questions atleast ten times! But still, it was kind of exciting to have that much attention on me. From what I understand, I have four classes Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. As the week as played out, I have yet to make it to my classes on Tuesday and Thursday (last night I only slept for three hours and had tons of cramps this morning so I couldn´t go to school) so I don´t know what I have then. But I do know I have P.E.! Anyways, I have math, economy 1, ecomony 2, and geography one day and whatever classes the next. I understood the math review worksheet almost completely so it was exciting not to feel behind in atleast on of my classes. In Economy 1 and 2, I understood nothing. It didn´t seem like something that difficult but the language barrier was too much. The teacher told me that Ecomony 1 is a very hard class and I could switch out of it if I wanted. I told her (through the translation of a girl who spoke English) that at this point no matter what class I am in, I am not going to understand it. She chuckled and wished me luck. For the most part, the teachers seemed very nice. It wasn´t all that different from the class room interactions back in the states. The one gigantic difference was when we were working on a worksheet, EVERYONE is talking REALLY loud. Think of the loudest class you have and then times that level of noise by atleast three. It was like I couldn´t even think!

My class has about twenty students so it isn´t that small of a class. The difference is, I have EVERY class with them. The teachers move class rooms but we stay in one spot. It makes it really easy not to get lost! :)

After classes ended about one (I am not sure because I really need to get a watch and there isn´t a clock in the class room) six other girls, I, and one boy all went to McDonalds at the mall. It was really funny because they were really excited to go because there is only one McDonalds in all of San Juan. I got to experience riding on a bus. Let me tell you, hold on tight! Right when I got on it started to move and I fell right over in my seat. It was really pretty funny. I really like this girls(and one boy) and they were really easy to talk to. The boy and another girl spoke pretty good English so when I didn´t understand something or needed to say something in English, they translated. It woked out pretty well because I didn´t get frustrated but at the same time, I was learning Spanish like crazy. From that one afternoon with them, I have learned more Spanish then I would in three weeks at school. It is incredible!

They wanted to know all about the United States. They thought it was crazy that I normally eat dinner at six. Here at the earliest they have it at ten! I always have to either eat dinner early and then go to sleep when they have dinner, or (like today) have two lunches and snack around five-ish.

It was a really fun day and I am looking forward to being able to go back to school tomorrow. With so little sleep last night and still feeling sick, I just wasn´t able to go to school this morning. Thankfully, I believe I have found the reason for my unwillingness to sleep. Did it ever occure to me that drinking caffinated beverages probably wasn´t a good idea a couple hours before I wanted to sleep? Well no. It didn´t. Thankfully, when talking to my mom (I am going to call my mom in the U.S. "mom" and my mama here either "mama" or "host mom") and telling her what I had for my late lunch, she pointed out that I am not used to drinking caffiene and that was probably why I couldn´t sleep. Let me tell you, I am not touching that stuff again for a LONG TIME. Last night was miserable. I was able to sleep from ten to one but then from then until six thirty in the morning all I could do was toss and turn and generally feel uncomfortable. I was also suffering from cramping so that didn´t help.

Today is Sofia´s 20th and Paula´s 22nd Birthday! They were both born on the same day just two years apart. Like Argentinians do, their friends didn´t show up until seven and they are just leaving now at nine. I think their family is supposed to show up for dinner at around ten. Right before I left, I looked up when their birthdays were just to see if I might need to bring a gift from the states and I am glad I did. I made them both my signature Scrabble Neclaces. They liked them very much.

The last couple days at about this time I would be taking a really cold shower and then getting ready for bed. Fortunetelly and unfortunetelly, my family saw how hot I was at night and has bought and airconditioner for Sofia´s and my room. They are currently installing it so even if I wanted to sleep, I couldn´t. Also, I have had dinner yet. I have a HUGE lunch and have snacked a bit so I think I am okay. Anyways, keep it cool over in Washington. I heard you guys have tons of snow. Man would I kill to go boarding right now! I love all of you so much and love hearing your comments about my blog. Feel free to ask any question as well. If I don´t know the answer, I will find out! Adios!
P.S. I am tring to post a picture of me with my friends on this post but I can´t tell if it is working or not. If it isn´t, you can visit my facebook page at Jenica Bee and see them there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment