Sunday, March 6, 2011

Party Hardy

Hey Guys!

Last night I went to my first party in Argentina! I had been invited to two this weekend but I decided against going to the one on Friday so I could keep resting up. Last night´s party was a brithday party for a girl who was turning 15. I don´t actually know the girl but some friends of mine from school were invited and invited me along with them. At ten p.m. I went over to my friend Maria´s house were we at pizza (They put eggs on their pizza!!!) and got ready for the party. My Paula loaned me a green dress that she had cause I wasn´t sure if my dress would be appropriate. I thought that it might be a little too short. Well once I arrived at the party, I found that most girls here went with the "shorter the better" theory. The dress that I brought would be longer than a lot of them! Anyways, at around 1 a.m. we left Maria´s house with six of her friends and her mom took us to the party. It was at this...hmmm... how will I decribe it? I guess what comes to mind is like a wedding after party outside. It has a gazeebo type building with large grassy areas around and white giant squishy blocks for people to sit on instead of the grass. It also had a police officer at the gate checking everyone´s invitations and corresponding names on his list. At first I got a little nervous that he wouldn´t let me in but Maria explained that I was an exchange student and seeing that I did look a little out of place, he let me in.

Inside the gazeebo was the dancing. They had all these crazy colored lights and would at times switch to a strobe light so everything looked like it was moving in that weird way. It was very disorientating dancing in that light but I started to get used to it. I don´t know how most people celebrate there birthdays in the U.S. but I have a feeling that most aren´t like this. There was a smoothie bar, icecream bar, and a juice bar. There were waiters going around picking up people´s glasses and a camera man who was filming everything. It was all really fancy but yet really laid back. I never actually got to meet the girl who´s birthday it was. It really seemed more like party than celebrating someone specific.

The music was really different from what we dance to at home and at first I didn´t like it. After a while though, I got into it and really started to have fun. I danced with Maria and her friends and some other girls who I met there. I also danced with this guy who knew Maria. It was pretty fun and I think I will enjoy them more and more as I get used to the late start times. The party was supposed to end around five or six in the morning but at three I asked Maria to call Elsa to come pick me up. I didn´t want to push my luck and wake up that day being horribally sick again. Thankfully, after waking up at twelve thirty, I found that I am not any more sick than before and excited about going to more parties.

The AFS kids that are in San Juan are going to meet in the park in a little bit so we can all get to know eachother. There are quite a few girls who have been here for six months already and I am interested in hearing how they ajusted and if they also got sick when they first arrived.

Eventhough you probably think that nothing new is going on in your life, I really enjoy getting the messages about what is up back in the States. Just small little updates are fun and it makes me not miss home as much. Thanks for reading!!

3 comments:

  1. According to my sources (aka Google:)turning 15 in Argentina for girls is a special occasion. It will be interesting to see if all other birthdays you go to are similar. Wow, getting used to the difference in schedules must be difficult. Pretty soon though it will be old hat and you will be hanging til 5am with the rest of them. Sounds like you're having a great time. OXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you are right Elaine. What I ment by that is I think that sixteen in the U.S. is kind of like 15 here but I sure didn´t have a party like that. Then again, are parties are a lot different normally. Won´t that be a shock when me, the early bird, is up until five a.m.?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see news of you, Jen. Keep up the writing!! All is well here. Anna and I have been x country skiing quite a few times. Fun! Take care and enjoy. love, Aunt C.

    ReplyDelete