Friday, March 11, 2011

P.E. is P.E. No matter where you are

Today I had my first official P.E. class. Although last week I technically had it, all we did was go over the rules and what time to be here (all of which I didn´t understand until Maria translated it). Today though, we got to practice our basketball dribling skills. Thankfully, I happen to be "okay" at this and did fairly well. The way P.E. works here is that you have school in the morning and get out around one, go home for lunch, and then come back for P.E. from 4:30 to 5:30. At first I was worried that it would be really bad because I am not yet completelly accustomed to the heat but all the other girls there were as hot as I was. There are only girls in my P.E. class. I guess they decide that although we have class with the boys, we can´t have P.E. with them. For that I am kind of glad because back in the States, it seems like there was always this kind of rival going on between the sexes. You were always trying to show the other one up. I know quite a few girls in my class (it also only has 14 students) which is nice because they all talk to me and even some of the six years that I don´t know help explain to me what is going on. Generally, my first P.E. class was a success although P.E. is still P.E. no matter what country I´m in and I don´t like P.E.



Anyways, yesterday it looked as though my weekend would be filled with lots of sleep and lots of time to kill. As of today though, my schedule is becoming booked. People here aren´t much for planning ahead. :) Tonight, I am going to a play with (I think) my sisters and two other AFS students. I don´t know much about it except that it is obviously in Spanish so I will therefore understand very little. Oh also, it is set far in the future after our era has died out and we have started the process of developing technology all over again.



Tomorrow: Morning- Going shopping with Paula and her boyfriend for school books and school shoes. Afternoon- Going to the center to have smoothies with Cati, Charolette, and Maria who are all AFS students. Night- Having tacos with Crystal and her friends. Crystal is a sixth year (remember- that is a senior in high school since high school here has six years) girl who grew up in the U.S. but moved her with her mother two years ago.



At this point I don´t have anything going on on Sunday, but judging by the way things keep coming up, it won´t be that way for long.



During all of my time here I keep noticing things that I won´t to mention on my blog. Of course, once I actually get here, I can´t remember most of them. In the future, I think I will just put random facts or observations into my blog when I think of them. Such as now.



Random Observation: I was told before I came here that Argentinians eat lots of Mayo. As stereotypes go, I figured this was just another one of them. Turns out, they do eat mayo on almost everything. Whether it is on their rice, salad, meat, noodles, bread- they have mayo with it. At first I didn´t eat mayo. I mean, in the States I never ate it and I couldn´t see why it made it so much better. Until today. I put it on my bread with some breaded steak- oh! It was like making a perfect thing even more perfect. From now on I am going to try mayo on whatever they have it on. Even if it seems crazy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment